http://lucyannabeljones.bigcartel.com/

Wednesday 10 September 2014

A Little Update...

Things have been a little quiet around here lately as I have been attempting to navigate some big changes in my life. It's been almost two and a half months since New Designers and since then I have been focused on working out what I am going to do now that I am no longer a student. Having been in education since I was four, finishing university has been both exciting and terrifying. I am the sort of person who needs to have a plan and although I was ready to finish university I definitely felt more rootless than I expected and suddenly the world seemed much bigger and scarier than before.

Luckily for me I have been helped along the way by some of the lovely people I met at New Designers and it wasn't long before I felt like I had a purpose again and could start making plans for my next adventures. The biggest and most exciting change is a move to Nottingham to start a 6 month placement in the Romo & Black Edition design studio! After meeting Gillian Edwards from Romo at New Designers she invited me to their studio to show my portfolio to herself and Emily Mould, the design director. After the interview I was offered a 6 month placement, an opportunity which I am so excited about as I will be able to gain some hands on experience of the design industry and work within a company that I really admire. I will be starting in a couple of weeks and will be sure to keep you up to date on what I get up to.

At New Designers I also met Marianne Shillingford, the Creative Director of Dulux who seemed to really love my work, saying some very kind things about me on Twitter. I was so flattered by her interest, especially as my work is painted predominately in Dulux paint! After our first meeting Marianne has invited me to the New Designers Talent Show, where me and 13 other designers and artists will be able to meet Dulux Designers and members of the Dulux Colour and Design team and show them our work. At the moment I don't what (if anything) this event will lead to but I am looking forward to going along and meeting everyone involved. Here is a video about Dulux's previous talent show.

As well as all of this, on 1st September I graduated. It was a great day, very surreal but lovely to mark finishing university by getting dressed up with my friends and family.


Not everything has been "career focused" over the last couple of months! I have also been camping, had a weekend away in Glasgow, enjoyed being back in the countryside with lots of walks on the Chase, read a lot of books and caught up with my family. I have a lot of inspiration stored up and ready to share in a few new posts and will also post some updates on the Dulux Talent Show and my placement with Romo.

It's been a strange Summer, both busy and quiet at the same time but as Autumn begins I am ready to get into a new routine and enjoy being a graduate, working in the design industry.